Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Updated Ramblings

  • Three weeks into school and just a day over 100 days until graduation. I have my hands full with my class load, but I think I'll manage.
  • I'm blessed with the opportunity to trek to Denton every Tuesday and Thursday morning for an 8:00 Management Research class. I think this is going to be the most interesting of my three classes. It includes an extensive group project and has one of the coolest features of any class I've taken in awhile: an online book. Cool not because of the mind boggling technology, but cool because it only cost $36 as opposed to the typical three figure cost of most college textbooks.
  • Tuesday evenings take me to the shiny, new UNT-Dallas campus for Recruitment and Selection. Interesting, but not exactly gripping material. The professor has assigned six article reviews that are due throughout the semester. I had delusions of reading a couple of ten page articles, so you can imagine my surprise when the first article clocked in at 29 pages. Fun.
  • Monday evenings are home to my most challenging course: Business Policy. BP is the capstone course for graduating seniors and it focuses on strategic management. It features, of course, a massive group project working on a live consultant case for a sponsoring business.
  • I'd be remiss if I didn't swim through the Cowboys coaching change. I was a little disappointed that Parcells left. I thought he had another good year left in him, despite the local media hanging him out to dry as a grouch and a football simpleton. None of the eight or so candidates in the coaching search really rouse up a lot of excitement, but I suppose Norv Turner will be okay. The possibility of bringing in Turner, Jason Garrett, and Dave Campo (yes, he really has been mentioned as a candidate for defensive coordinator) should really appeal to my emotional connection to the mid-90's success, but this all sounds like a silly attempt to get the old band back together to tour festivals and state fairs and relive the glory days. I'll give it a chance, but put me in the "skeptical" category.
  • Speaking of retreads, the Rangers announced the signing of Sammy Sosa today. There was a time when fans would have traded half the team to get back he who was so mercilessly ripped away early in his career, but I doubt that will be the case this time around. I just happened to be in the car to hear the press conference announcing the signing and I don't know what was more sickening: Sosa sidestepping any questions concerning his past cheating ways or the local media for being scared to death to even mention the word steroids (one reporter referred to the 2005 Congressional hearing as "those things" ???).

2 Comments:

At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is absolutely annoying to think that the Cowboys are really going in that direction. Why not at least INTERVIEW Bob Stoops? And Campo? He has never coached a 3-4. All of the personnel progress that was made under Parcells will evaporate and the Cowboys will be right back at 6-10.

In other news - congratulations on school! I know that will have to feel good when that is complete. Keep it up!

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's now less than 100 days until graduation. For me, it went really fast. For you, you probably beg to differ! Good luck on the home stretch (and Congratulations!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home