Sunday, November 04, 2007

Innovative Campaign Tactic

The City of Fort Worth is holding a special election on Tuesday to fill the seat of a long-time councilperson who resigned to run for a state office. The winner will represent District 9, easily the most active and important area of the city. This area includes downtown, the historic and growing South side, TCU, and parts of the cultural district.

The race has been contentious and even a little ugly at times. There are seven candidates on the ballot, including a retired contractor, the owner of a landscape business, two well-connected political consultants, and a seasoned school board member. However, the one who piques my interest the most is a modest, down-to-Earth bicycle shop owner.

Bernie Scheffler is a breath of political fresh air. He's probably going to spend less money on his campaign than I'll bring home in the next month (I'll cry about that later). He spent his day yesterday cruising for last minute votes. Not in a unmarked car surrounded by staff or hunkered down in an office calling his potential constituents. He hit the streets in a rented ice cream truck.

Check out the story on one of many wonderful Fort Worth-centric blogs that has emerged recently: Steve-O's Caravan of Dreams.

1 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know the more I think about this, the better this idea is. Screw it, I am getting an ice cream truck! Does he sell push-ups with his positions on property taxes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home